I don't have the broad experience with different cameras that many
folks on this list do, but my Canonet QL15 GIII is my sentimental
favorite, and the only film camera that I still occasionally use in
the digital era. The lens is probably better than you're anticipating.

https://flickr.com/search/?user_id=13693939%40N07&sort=date-taken-desc&text=canonet&view_all=1

(The most recent ones, at the top, are part of a double-exposure
project with a friend, where we each shot the same roll.)

One of my Canonet shots was published in a book, quite large:

https://flickr.com/photos/coneslayer/6953258544/in/photolist-ehEFdK-4J3Dz8-ekkcgp-sfXWfC-bArgw1-ehEFk4-ehLqp1-ehLqhA