On 9/9/2021 10:53 PM, jco...@iinet.net.au wrote:
Hi Bill - can you say when this happens?  I can find nowhere in the "File" menu
in PS where this happens on my system.
The only similar event is when I select "Open as copy" from the Camera Raw "Open"
dropdown, when the suffix "-x" is
added to the original file name, where x starts at 1.

OK,  did some screen shots:

Here you can see the open file with the correct file name

https://flic.kr/p/2mogiv2

And here, the drop down menu showing the Save As command that I am used to using

https://flic.kr/p/2mokb6t

And finally, what happens when I try to use the Save As command:

https://flic.kr/p/2mooYZk

Note, Photoshop has dropped the lettered prefix in favor of "untitled", and is using the numbered suffix.

It's curious. As I mentioned, if I use the Export command, it works fine.

thanks

bill

John in Brisbane