Larry,

You are probably right about the light coming from the background.
What I am not understanding completely is why all the aperture
images are perfectly aligned along a straight line.

If my assumption is correct that it is a SR that creates that motion, projecting this aperture images onto different portions of the sensor, - then why is it in a straight line? I'd assume my shaking hands to be moving less linearly.

Igor