The problem is related to lack of Multi-coating on the rear element which was absent on pre-digital lenses. More commonly this gives rise to ghosting (back-and-forth reflections) when these old lenses are used on digital camera because the sensors are much more reflective than film. The difference between the Sigma 170-500 APO & the later DG version is indicative.

Alan C