Thanks, Alan.

Yes, the fruit is edible, as are the pads, or nopales.  I find eating it
gives me diarrhea, so I leave the fruits for the birds, which seem to enjoy
them.  In survival school, back in the 1960s, we ate the pads as a source
of energy, along with wild onion and dandelions.  I cut back the pads
severely after each flowering season;  otherwise, they soon would cover the
entire yard.

Dan Matyola
*https://tinyurl.com/DJM-Pentax-Gallery