Brooks Falls in Alaska's Katmai National Park is the best place in the
world to watch brown bears feasting on salmon as they swim upstream to
spawn.

My wife, my son and I visited there decades ago; it is still one of the two
most memorable travel experiences of my life (along with watching the
flowing lava at Kilauea at close range). They have a wooden platform about
15 feet off the ground, overlooking the falls, for observing and
photographing. When we were there, there were always 3 or 4 professionals
with huge lenses that spent all day at the overlook. (I have a few images
of my own, but none of great quality, as that was pre-digital, and my lens
was not that long.)

Now there is a webcam so all can enjoy the spectacle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mphg2feuAPo

(Note that one can watch live or go back to view the activity earlier in
the day.)

Katmai is in my view the most under-rated national park in the system.  The
park and preserve encompass 4,093,077 acres (6,395.43 sq mi; 16,564.09
km2), which is between the sizes of Connecticut and New Jersey. Most of the
national park is a designated wilderness area. In addition to Brooks Falls
with its abundance of bear, one can hike through the Valley of Ten Thousand
Smokes, a 40-square-mile, 100-to-700-foot-deep (30 to 213 m) pyroclastic
flow. The park includes 18 individual volcanoes, seven of which have been
active since 1900.  Oh yes, there is excellent salmon and trout fishing,
moose and beaver sightings, and eagles, eagles, eagles.

The national park has limited capacity, to preserve the natural conditions
and for safety reasons..  When we were there, sll the cabins in the park
were full, so we stayed at an inn in King Salmon, and flew in and out by
float plane each day for three days.  Now, reservations are required for
entry into the park, and are fully booked a year in advance.  Still, I
highly recommend Katmai if you are able to go there.  It is the experience
of a lifetime.

Enjoy the webcam, in any event!

Dan Matyola
*https://tinyurl.com/DJM-Pentax-Gallery