On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 04:36:50PM -0500, Stanley Halpin wrote:
> I am going through a large stack of articles extracted from Shutterbug issues
> from 1992-2004.
 . . .
> I will keep a few Pentax articles, a 1991 article on computers (e.g., how
> many megabytes one might need to store files, and how some users were
> starting to adopt storage approaches that could accommodate gigabytes of
> data!), and other miscellany.

I can relate to that.

At the moment I'm in the process of reviewing a whole lot of old image files,
etc., from my pre-digital and early (non-Pentax) days.
I've got three or four generations of backups retrieved from ever-increasing
sizes of external hard drive (100GB and up), but some of the oldest stuff comes
from machines where the internal hard drive sizes were 512MB or less.  I've
narrowed down the effort to focus on maybe 400GB or so of files (maybe 100,000
individual files in a few thousand folders).

I know that for some folks 100,000 files isn't all that many, but I shoot at a
rather slower pace - I would estimate there are perhaps 20,000 different images
(and probably half of those are only present once, in the most recent archive).
Currently I'm just looking for duplicate copies of images, etc. - there are
going to be quite a few of those, as each of the backup snapshots has one or
more complete image collections which are, more or less, arranged the same way
from machine to machine.  But that "more or less" is a complication - quite
apart from later snapshots having files that don't appear in older snapshots,
there are several cases where whole hierarchies of files have been moved to a
slightly different place.  And then there are those images which got copied off
into a separate sub-project, so there are almost-duplicates that should be kept
separately as well as the original copy ...

One benefit of getting down to the task (which is something I've been putting
off for at least ten years...) is that I'm finding old shots that I'd totally
forgotten about, not to mention shots that I remembered, but hadn't been able
to put my hands on when I tried to locate them!
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List