A friend of mine retired with similar thoughts, tried, got too lazy. I
convinced him to package up all his old slides and negs, send them to
ScanCafe.com. He did, paid a good bit of money for the work, and they did a
great job. Of course, his innate laziness and sloth means he now has a huge
library of completely unedited, unorganized scans on his computer which he'll
get a Round Tuit to deal with somewhere in the next eon.

ugh.

I have my old libraries of slides and film. I scanned them all once, years ago,
but scanning tools and image processing methodology has improved so
dramatically since then that I might just re-scan them all. I'll review my old
scans and, if they're good, that'll be the end of it. Otherwise I'll make one
more pass at it … the film is degrading and they'll never get any better than
they are now. Once I have a format setup vetted, I can scan up to about 100
exposures per hour for any given format. Scanned, sucked into LR Classic with
some keywords for organization, metadata saved to disk … I figure there's about
a month's worth of work to do if I put in two/three hours a day at it.

What I'll then do with the library … No idea. I have no idea who might be
interested in it in the future. Maybe I should just create a compendium book
with all of it in there and file a copy with the Library of Congress in case
some future photo researcher wants to see what one nut case with a camera (or
twenty…) did with his spare time and cash… LOL!

—
No matter where you go, there you are.