Plastic flamingos are often used as a symbol of kitsch, bad taste and
cheapness. The movie Pink Flamingos is named after them and helped them
become an icon of trash and kitsch.
Some charities use plastic flamingos as fund-raisers.  You pick a target,
usually a friend or a local celebrity, fill his or her yard with plastic
flamingos, and urge them to contribute to the charity and then place the
flamingos and charity message on someone else's yard.

Dan Matyola
*https://tinyurl.com/DJM-Pentax-Gallery