A crane fly emerging from its pupa in an old tree stump in our back yard.

My wife saw some of these a few evenings ago and seems to have managed to
identify them.  Today she spotted one emerging while there was still enough
light to get a photo.  I had to turn up the ISO to 6400 and also set -1
exposure compensation as the camera was blowing out the highlights a bit.  That
got me all the way to 1/180 at f/8.

http://gallery.multi.net.nz/photo/1198/#peso

Pentax K5ii, FA 100mm f/2.8 macro

I'd have got much better results with a tripod but I wasn't about to hang
around setting one up with mosquitoes biting.  I snapped a whole lot of frames
handheld while hoping to get at least one in reasonable focus, while contorting
myself to try and get the plane of focus along the insect's body (as much as
the foreground would allow).

Cheers,
Dave
--