Using LR Classic, currently at v.12.0.1

My All Photographs catalog is at about 276k images. There are about 262k in a
Missing Photographs catalog. I suspect those “missing” images are the ones on
my external drives, which I keep turned off mostly.
Some of the “missing” are due to a recent renaming of some of my folders, it
will be trivial to “find” them again when needed. My 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023
images are in the Pictures folder on my internal drive. Currently showing 31k

Every once in a while I turn on the external drives and/or plug in my backup
SSDs, either to do a periodic backup of the items on my hard drive, or to open
up an earlier year folder and thus “find” the missing images.

20+ years ago, before Lightroom, I was doing some SQL work on a volunteer
basis, helping create and maintain large databases of names/address/etc.
Working with a very fine, long since deceased, Mac-based program whose name
escapes me. I toyed with the idea of creating my own image db program, but then
one came on the market (pre LR still). I used it, I worried about what would
happen as the catalog size grew, and made sure that I had extensive backups.
Microsoft bought the program, killed it very soon after that, but by then LR
was here.

As Rob mentioned, the downside of a very large catalog is the speed hit you
take when e.g. doing a catalog backup or when bringing in older images whose
Previews have been purged. I mostly work on “recent” images. Having an “active”
catalog of 20-30k images works just fine. Back early in the pandemic I started
a project to organize and publish (as Blurb books) my images from our travels.
Got as far as a Caribbean book (2002, 2013-2018) which required working across
many older image sets. I do not recall LR being an issue. The experience did
lead me to trade in my 2013 Mac for a much faster 2021 Mac but LR per se was
never an issue.

Stan