More interesting facts. So you never tried a Lamprey Burger?

Alan C

On 21-Mar-23 06:50 AM, Larry Colen wrote:

On Mar 19, 2023, at 4:59 AM, Alan C <c...@lantic.net> wrote:

I did some research. Lampreys have a very unusual lifecycle - egg, larva, adult & then
die immediately after procreating for the first time. The big difference between the
species is the larval stage which can last from 2 to 10 years. The life cycle of the brook
lamprey is very short.  Their larvae feed on algae & rubbish before transforming into
sexually mature adults. The digestive tract of all adults quickly becomes degenerate so
they can no longer feed in the normal way. The larger species like the river lampreys which
have specially adapted mouthparts become parasitic & are able to survive a few more
years on a blood diet. Eventually, they too perish after procreation. Parasitism of humans
has been recorded but is uncommon.

Alan C
I've never seen a live one, but when I was a kid my back yard was littered with
their corpses as they'd die after spawning and would catch on rocks and sticks
in the river shallows.

https://coastal-watershed.org/lamprey-san-lorenzo-river/

--
Larry Colen