My understanding is maybe. We don't hear much about SDM failure these days.
Apparently they got it fixed on the 60-250, which was good. Mine was in the
shop twice for it.
If you really intend to spring for a new 50, drop the extra coin on the D
FA* 50/1.4. It's quite a bit more money, but it is a better lens.

bill