On Apr 13, 2023, at 2:28 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> Basically, the technical arguments would be “are the tradeoffs worth it?”.
> You are losing all of your color channel information in exchange for a little
> bit better performance in other areas.  I suspect that the improved
> performance (in monochrome) is about on par with the improved performance
> gained by shooting full frame, or about one sensor generation worth of
> performance. ...

You underestimate the gains quite a lot. I have both Leica M10 Monochrom and
M10-R.. both full frame, both 40 Mpixel FF sensors. The M10-M outperforms the
M10-R very noticeably on both acutance and dynamic range, on usable ISO as
well... and the M10-R is no slouch either. The M10-M outperforms my MFD
Hasselblad 907x with 33x44, 50 Mpixel sensor as well, despite the Hassy's full
16-bit raw files.

If your interest is the best quality B&W photography, there is little to
compete with the M10-M until you get to the much, much more expensive (and
slower operating), large format MFD back and a technical camera.

I hope the Pentax KIII monochrome achieves something near the M10-M performance
as its price will make it a much more accessible choice for those who are
interested in this kind of work.

%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List