Well,

After seeing that Ebay auction (
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1358473200 ) slip by I
thought I would do some research into the cost for the 77mm if I was to
purchase it brand spanking new.

I dropped into my local photography joint ( Downtown Camera ) and asked the
friendly sales dude what he can do for me on a special order - I only asked
about the 77mm and the 43mm as I've got enough wide angles to cover my
bottom end ( the cameras folks.. the cameras!*smirk* )

The price in Canuck bucks for brand new 77mm (includes case and hood) -
$960.00 CDN prior to taxes ($1104.00 CDN after taxes).  The 43mm was, I
believe, $720.00 CDN before we pay our share to the government.

I was quite surprised as the one up for auction went for $880.00 CDN prior
to shipping.  I somehow was expecting the cost of a new one to be a lot
more.  I've seen ebay auctions for used items end up going for over and
above the costs of new items. It's weird but I guess that's Ebay and the
auction frenzy that it may cause (or lack of consumer knowledge).

In U.S. greenbacks, at the current exchange rate ( 1.5365 CDN per US ),
you'd be looking at $624.00 US before taxes. Not a bad price..

Just a thought,
Cheers,
Dave