Divide and conquer. You’re talking about three different situations, storage,
transport and shooting.

For storage I divide everything by system: Pentax, Leica and MFT, and generic
accessories. Each gets its own case; I use a Pelican hard case and two Vanguard
soft cases with dividers, and a variety of Domke bags as well as inserts from
Topo Designs, Crumpler and Artist and Artisan. Any kind of bag with suitable
dividers or inserts would be ok.

For travel I generally decant what I need either directly into a Domke bag, or
into an insert and some other non-camera bag. I’d use the Pelican, with
padlocks, for any travel where I needed some security. Some of the inserts fit
nicely into a handlebar bag for my bike; they can also go into a backpack or
suitcase, or a larger travel camera bag.

For shooting I normally work from shoulder bags; I don’t like using a backpack,
but the principle of divide and conquer holds either way. This generally
involves further decanting a subset of the kit to match whatever I want to
photograph into an insert and/or a shoulder bag. I used a Domke F-2 for many
years*, and I still have it, but it holds more than I want to carry. If I find
myself thinking of using it, it means I’m taking too much, so I think again and
take less stuff in a smaller bag.

Fanny packs/bum bags - just say no. A more versatile option is to use a belt,
worn like a tool belt or a gunslinger’s gun belt, with pouches that you can
swap and change according to need. I have a Domke webbing belt and a couple of
pouches, although in all honesty I’ve never used them. Don’t know if you can
still buy them but one of the other manufacturers will make something similar.
Lowepro had something similar in the Street & Field range.

*When I was travelling quite a lot in the 90s I packed my clothes and most
other stuff, including film, in the Pelican and it went into the hold of
aircraft or buses. I packed one change of clothes and all my camera kit into
the F-2 and it came with me as carry-on. When I was at the hotel or on a train,
especially a sleeper, most of the camera kit would go into the Pelican, which I
could lock and attach to something, and I’d keep a small working kit with me.

It’s ok to travel light. This is from ‘American Geography’ by Matt Black of
Magnum:

“I’m catching the 11pm train from Fresno to Calexico, 438 miles, 10 hours. One
backpack with one pair of pants, one long-sleeved shirt, one T-shirt, jacket,
hat, four pairs of socks. Panasonic camera, XPan camera, six lenses, thirty
rolls of film. From Calexico, I’ll take the bus cross-country, to Bangor,
Maine, and back. It’s 3,317 miles, one way. About six weeks.”

https://www.mattblack.com/american-geography
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List