On Mon, Dec 18, 2023 at 05:09:54PM +0000, coll...@brendemuehl.net wrote:
> Which would you prefer in a lens?\
> \
> 1\. Best rendering. Detail may not be as fine, but the formation of the image
> is closer to reality.
>
> 2\. Some pincushion distortion, but better detail.
>
> 3\. Balance in between. Minimal distortion and good detail.

I've never really given this much thought.  Ever since my first Pentax
(a Spotmatic SPII with the 50mm/f1.4) I've found that the weakest link
in my image creation process was usually found behind the viewfinder.

Admittedly I shoot hand-held most of the time - even when I was using
my 250-600 zoom I was using a monopod, not a tripod - so I wasn't really
pushing the envelope of what my equipment was capable of producing. But
it produced images I was happy to have taken.

Arguably the worst lens I used over the years (apart from the 100-300
I used for a while until I switched to an 80-320) was the rather strange
40-80 zoom I bought with my Super Program.  But even with that lens,
which was maybe a bit lacking in sharpness at the edges until stopped
down to f5.6, and also a little soft at either extreme of the (limited)
zoom range, still generally did all that I asked of it.
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List