My basic file system: Folders = YYYY-Master for values of YYYY from 2002 to
2024. Subfolders are yyyy - 01Jan, yyyy - 02Feb, etc. I use a similar approach
for image naming, renaming on import to yyyymmdd-NNxxxxx.dng, building onto the
in-camera naming sequence preceded by a camera designator such as K1a, K1b,
645Z...

Space permitting, current year and previous year reside on my internal drive.
Whenever I do a major import or editing session, I copy the YYYY-Master to a
YYYY-Copy x, Copy x+1, etc. folder on 1 or two hard drives. If I go on a trip,
current and prior year’s YYYY-Copy x+1 is copied to a 2 TB SSD to take along,
both for en route backups from the laptop, but also in case I want to go back
into something from a few months ago. Back home, I copy from the SSD to my
internal drive in the appropriate YYYY- month folder(s) and then in LR I point
at those and have LR Synch.

When I take pictures around home, I import via LR directly to my internal drive
in the appropriate month’s directory.

For me, I found that using named folders (e.g., Birds, Water Falls, baseball,
…) led me down too many rabbit holes, and I keep my folders by date. All other
cataloging is done first via key wording on import, modified/extended key
wording during review/editing, and then Catalogs for gathering images of some
category or another. Annual favorites, Selections from November trip, Macro
Flowers, … When I am working on a photo book, I drop selected images into
catalogs/sub-catalogs in my preliminary preparation phase.

One exception to my rule about sticking to YYYY folders: I do have a folder on
my internal drive labeled Current Exports. Basically temporary storage for
images to post as a PESO, GESO, on FB, or send in an email to friends. Such
images typically have been given a reasonably high star rating in LR. I can
easily delete or lose the Current Export images and re-locate them within LR by
doing a screen by ratings.

In your work flow, you mention “moving directories” from one place to another.
Are you using the OS to do this? Or are you doing this within LR?

Stan