The *ist-D allowed you to save as PEF, TIF or JPG.

Herbert Kepler recommended TIF in his Popular Photography column, so that's what I shot in 2004.

IIRC, the TIF was available in small, medium & large, which I didn't understand at the time. After I got home in 2005 & could buy more CF cards fairly easily, I switched to PEF.

Continued to shoot PEF when I finally got a K10D. Began shooting DNG files late in 2012 when I got a K20D.

Occasionally I would shoot JPEG (when I would somehow gum up the settings) or RAW+JPEG

With the K-3 & K-1 I've shot exclusively DNG.

With the VueScan software, I can also save files from my scanners as DNG.