Just when Fred has the Takumar 50/1.4s sorted out--

You know how I and others have written that the various 55/1.2K lenses from
Chinon, Cosina, Porst, Vivitar, and Revue are all the same? Well, they're
not. I discovered this yesterday, when saving some photos of two Revuenons
and a Porst from http://www.arsenal-photo.com

On the Cosinon, Revuenon MC, Vivitar, and Porst Color Reflex MC Auto, the
aperture can be stopped down to f/16.

BUT

On the Porst Color Reflex MC Auto Pre-Series, the aperture can be stopped
down to f/22. I have no idea what Pre-Series means, but in my photos the
Pre-Series appears to have a bluer, more beautiful multicoating, even
though the lens itself looks like an older design.

Like most of these 55/1.2Ks, the Rikenon stops down to f/16. However,
Popular Photography reported that the Rikenon's diaphragm has 9 blades. The
Porst Color Reflex MC Auto clearly has 8 blades. The only other 55/1.2K
that I know has 9 blades was the Vivitar Series 1 prototype (f/16).

Summing up, we find that the 55/1.2Ks fall into three camps:

1. f/16, 8 blades (Cosinon, Porst Color Reflex MC Auto, Revuenon MC)
2. f/16, 9 blades (Rikenon, Vivitar Series 1 prototype)
3. f/22, unknown number of blades (Porst Color Reflex MC Auto Pre-Series)

To which of these groups do the Chinon 55/1.2K and the Vivitar production
55/1.2K belong? I don't know; but the Vivitar came out in 1976, predating
the others by many years.

Paul Franklin Stregevsky