Wayne,

My collected comments follow. My personal thoughts: It's so much more
expensive than slower zooms, I don't think it's worth the premium. The
Pentax SMC 35-105/3.5 PKA is said to be so outstanding, you'd have to be
brain-dead to spend much more for the Tamron.

Collected comments:
AF version not available in Pentax mount; weighs 2 oz. more. Detachable
lens hood included. Terry, Nikon posting: "I own the Tamron 90/2.5 Macro MF
and the Tamron 35-105/2.8. IMO, they are both great lenses. The 35-105
basically stays on my F90X as its standard lens." Christian (Contax mount):
At f/2.8 brilliance is low, esp. compared to Zeiss lenses, but at f/4 or
f/5.6 the brilliance improves to prime standard and at f/4 the resolution
is also in the same region. At 105mm you can see a 2% line curving which is
not up to Zeiss standard, but good for a zoom. Sharpness, 8; Color, 9;
Optics, 8; Convenience, 7; Mechanics, 8." Composite results from four
reviewers on www.cmpsolv.com: "Performance wide open, OK short, good long;
Performance stopped down, good short, very good long; Vignetting, little
short, none long; Distortion, critical short, signif. long; Color, slightly
warm; Flare, heavy; AF speed, slow; build quality, good." Wai Chan: "I had
the SP 35-105mm f2.8 ASL which was expensive but poor both optically and
mechanically (my biggest mistake on lens purchase, not even my previous
Sigma lenses gave me so much trouble)."

Paul Franklin Stregevsky