Hi all,
I finally decided about the head-tripod combo I'd use (and need) in the
future and got  a Manfrotto 055PRO legset and 468RC ballhead that is a
Bogen 3021PRO plus 3435QR head.

The uses will be mostly landscape, both natural and artificial, and
macro. I dno't plan to use it for any studio work, right now.

I was starting from a 190/3001 tripod so I can feel the difference,
especially wrt height and weight. At 3.2 Kg/7 lbs. this combo is not
really lightweight but it feels really solid and about as heavy as I can
hope to lug around for some time. Probably not an option for long treks
unless it's strictly photographic (i.e. no wife or other non
photographers around).

John Shaw's comments on the tripod height (but wrt the older version) is
"fine if you're not taller than 180 Cm/5' 10" " but I am exactly that
tall and with the head on the camera is right at my eye level. The
center post is rather long, though and I doubt I ever extend it much.
Besides is a real hassle for low level shots since the lenght prevents
the use of the tripod with the legs flattened out. Actually I asked for
the optional short post (about 20 Cm/8") but they say they're not
manufacturing it anymore and I should use the plastic thinghie attached
on the bottom of the post that you can lock on top of the legs once you
remove the center post. I think this is silly as that way you can't vary
the height of the camera unless you extend, retract or close the legs.

The macro focusing rail wasn't available at the shop either so I'll try
it without it and see if it works for my macro shots.

The head seems good, provided I couldn't spend the money to get a top
ballhead, with a  sufficently smooth movement and a friction control. In
addiction it offers a separated panning control. I just tried it out
with my Z1-p, Tokina 100-300 and 2x TC and it seems to absorb a smart
tap on the lens rather easily. Further test in the field will say, but
I'm confident.

Hope you found the reading interesting.

Ciao, Flavio