David,

I lean toward the hater side, I suppose.  Actually, it is more that I
think it is a great film when the colors lose saturation (usually due
to diffused or low light), to bring things back to normal.  What I
don't like is when it is used when the colors are already saturated
and punchy.  Then the results look too unreal.  If you are a chrome
shooter, Velvia is one to keep in the bag and use when the situation
is right.  Provia 100F or Agfa RSX 100 are both much better general
purpose films.  I think you would really like both of them.  Provia is
slightly lower contrast than RSX but great color.  Try them both and
see if you can pick a clear winner for you.

Bruce