Hallo Yves!

Just a few minutes ago, I replied to Bill.

You are absolutely right in your point. I know that quite well. The
f-number is defined as the ratio of focal length to the diameter of the
aperture (Am I correct?). But I am talking about the preliminary intensity
of light reaching the film plane because of the wider diameter of the
front element in the case of 50 mm f/1.4.

Your reply is of course comprehensible.

Many thanks for your reply.

With best regards,
Ayash

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Yves Caudano wrote:

> At 20:56 1/7/02 +0530, you wrote:
>
> >I have some doubts regarding lenses with small f-numbers. Suppose you have
> >two lenses, one is 50 mm f/4 and the other is 50 mm f/1.4. If, I stop
> >down the second lens to f/4, which one will give faster shutter speed for
> >correct exposure?
>
>  The correct exposure will be obtained with the same shutter speed for
 both lenses. Actually, that same shutter speed should even give the
 correct exposure for any lens [*]. This is because f-stops are defined so
 that this property holds.

>  As a result, for identical f-stops, the actual diameter of the
 diaphragm will depend on the focal length and the lens design.