----- Original Message -----
From: Peifer, William
Subject: RE: APS film -- exposed or not? (was RE: Carry-on
inspection of film -- and an unfortunate incident)

> Bill Robb wrote:
> [Everything I always wanted to know about APS processors, and
more.
> Snipped....]
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Gee, I get the feeling that some of those APS customers really
get in your
> shorts....  ;-)  HAR!!

Must be shortly after our Fireworks Day.......
Regarding the APS system design, to me it shows all the
manifestations of being designed by a commitee with a bad
mandate. The status indicator is fairly easy to see, being a
white indicator inside a black window. Here is a drawing of an
APS cartridge, with some expanatory stuff:
http://www.austral.addr.com/photo-APS/

To me, I really don't think it is so much poor eyesight, as just
simple carelessness on the part of the consumer, or over
harriedness on the part of the lab.
The Fuji cartridges have a white stripe with the instructions
printed in black, but the instructions really are very small. My
mid 40's eyes have some problems with making them readable.
OTOH, every camera comes with an owners manual.....

I think they would have been better to make a 110/126 style film
cartridge, rather than what they came up with, though this would
have obviated the possibility of mid roll film changes. With the
lack of choices in APS (there really is only 4 different films
from Kodak, and Agfa, and 3 from Konica, Fuji and Imation), I
don't think this would have been such a loss.

William Robb