Agreed.
Let me try to clarify what I am after.
If I buy a camera and assume that I know the 'characteristics of a film
(slide).
Is there any quantative way of testing the camera so that I know if it over
or under exposes?
How do I know that a picture taken that for example appears over exposed is
because the camera interpreted it incorrectly for my tastes.
How do I minimise the effects of all the other things in the equation
(colour temp, development etc).
If I still worked in a lab I could put it on a jig and use known light
sources etc (sad aren't I ;-).
I know that a lot of this is subjective.
Its more a case of finding out for example:
camera A has a tendency to overexpose under these conditions and film B is
not good at handling under exposure.
How do you split out the characteristics of each part?
What about the lens?
Or is it a case of saying this combination (camera,lens,film) has a tendency
to do this.
Does this make any sense?
Best regards
             Alan