>aren't you assuming the very point that's at question here? In other
>words, if your camera meter disagrees with the external meter, you're
>assuming that the camera meter is accurate and that the aperture or
>shutter are inaccurate. But the purpose of the exercise is to
>determine the accuracy of your meter, so you've made a circular
>argument and undermined everything else you wrote.

I don't know if it was my poor English (not my 1st language). This was not
what I intended to say. I have never said (or did I?) the camera metering
was accurate even if it was different from the incident readings. What I was
trying to say is that "don't be surprised if the "chosen" shutter speed was
different between 'A' and non-'A' setting on the lens. This is due to the
mechanical aperture coupling tolerance difference (different lens/camera
combinations have different results). It has nothing to do with the accuracy
of the actual aperture or actual shutter speed, but the "chosen shutter
speed" by the camera. And for the purpose of the test (to determine the
accuracy of the metering, not the accuracy of the mechanical coupling), the
lens is best to set to 'A'. This way, all communications are done
electronically and there will be no chance for error (due to mechanical
tolerance). The most important thing here is, we are not trying to determine
the accuracy of the actual aperture of any lens (because every lens is
different), or the accuracy of the mechanical aperture coupling (variable
resistor), but the metering alone.

regards,
Alan Chan