First, Sid Said:

But all of these neat little features on the K2, and DMD are available
as electronic bells and whistles on succeeding generations of Pentax
models, on smaller lighter bodies, with lots of things added later on to
make them even more "user friendly".

And then Jim said:

Since when is my PZ1-p user friendly?  I think the K1000's simplicity is
more user friendly than the modern SLRs of Pentax and others.

Sid now says:

Ah, slightly wrong choice of words. I should have said "feature rich"
maybe. But, I do think the PZ1 rather easy to learn, and each "hyper
shift" or "pentax function choice" is only a button push and/or dial
turn...  the bells and whistles you're apt to use are "user-friendly"
enough to be able to recall them without pulling out the manual. I know
it's that way for me, and I'm not a genius. Now, some of the crazy
things they put on the PZ series that make some of the zoom lenses do
odd things-- I tried a couple of those one time, didn't have a doubt I'd
never need them; I wondered-- who in the world did they think would use
these features enough to warrant the R & D time they spent on them.
 you're right about the K1000-- ten jillion users over the years can't
be wrong. But I wonder about the persistence of the K1000's popularity
in the used market, like on ebay. On any given day, there might be 100
K1000s for sale,  and if you look even closer, usually these models have
multiple bidders going after them. But let's face it, the model is a
stripped  down version of the Spotmatic F, with some features removed.
Simple, reliable. But, you also see every day on ebay lots of super
programs, ME supers, heck, even SF series, PZ series, all are
represented..... And, the K1000s are fetching prices higher than the
super programs, often! I can't understand that, other than reputation,
and buyer's lack of research. The super program is, in my opinion, the
best value on the used market, manual focus. Not as simple as the K1000,
but come on, who on this list would say the super program is too
difficult for just about anyone, even brand newbies, to learn after only
a few minutes of examining it, even without a manual?

well, getting off track starting to ramble.... Hope I don't sound like
I'm bashing the K1000. I'm sure Pentax is proud of it. Probably kept
them in business these last couple of decades when they've sort of
"fallen behind" the C and N, maybe even the M crowd. A good, simple,
basic, design. But now, in the marketplace  today, I don't follow the
logic of buyers of K1000s now. Too many other, better choices in used
cameras.

Sid