I really think this issue is vastly overblown. My own semi-scientific observations
have led me to believe that the majority of the noise and vibration of a properly
adjusted SP happen on mirror return, not mirror up. It doesn't matter how much noise
or vibration (other than aesthetically) occurs on mirror return as the shutter has
long been closed.

It just seems like the SP has a stronger mirror return spring - possibly to deal with
the faster motor drives available for this camera. Also the SP has a bit less heft to
dampen the commotion then say a K2 or KM DMD.

Also, there is NO shock absorption on mirror return. It's metal on metal without any
visible dampening. I thought there would be bumpers that the mirror would rest on, but
the resting position of the mirror is SO critical to focusing accuracy, you can
imagine the trouble this could cause.

In short, I don't think (on average) the SP has any more of a "mirror-up slap"
vibration problem than many other MF Pentaxes without MLU. My samples include an old
Spottie, K1000, and an ME... (not a huge sample, I know, but I've handled a few others)

On the other hand my MZ5 seems much better in this regard, even though it's lighter.
It's a shame it's VF stinks for MF...

Just my humble opinion...

Chris L.
School Publications Guy