Hi Jerome,

Don't know for sure, the prices you mention are for "new" I suppose ...

I own the "SMCP-A* 300mm f/2.8 ED IF" which I bought used
for about US $3000 two years ago.

All I can say it has a VERY solid build, is remarkebly sharp and has enough contrast.
It also combines perfectly with the MF 1.4xL and 2xL teleconverters, and as a bonus
you can turn it into a very usefull 510mm f/4.7 autofocus lens using the 1.7x AF
adapter.

I doubt the AF version of the lens is any less optically, but maybe the build quality,
and
lack of real (AF) matching teleconverters plays a role in the popularity of the lens.

Regards, JvW