From: Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:09:46 +0100
To: "Pentax List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Buying Digital (was: Re[2]: OT: Digital)

Bruce wrote to ROB:

> I wonder how many of us, when actually faced with the
>buying proposition, wouldn't have a similar problem.  It makes you
>wonder how deep into a system you really are when all the focal
>lengths shift like that.  He could almost consider any brand now.  Oh
>yeah, his SB28 flash won't work in TTL mode with the new body either.
>That means he has to get a new flash also.
>
>Those of you who are waiting for the Pentax digital because of
>existing lenses may want to examine if you really would want to use
>them or would seek a different set of focal lengths like my friend.
>You may end up buying a new system whether it is Pentax or another
>anyway.

This is exactly what I have thought about, and am now putting into
operation my Master Plan.

I'm keeping some Pentax gear, namely MXs and a couple of lenses
(Tokina
28-70 and some old primes inc 35mm). I've already bought an EOS fit
Tokina 28-70 in anticipation if a D60.

At the moment (on film) my requirements are:
a nice wide - I've got a 17mm Tok, would love a 15mm SMC
a good portrait lens - I've got the A*85mm 1.4
Tok 28-70 2.8
Sigma 70-200 2.8
Tok 300 2.8
and a few others I don't use much, a Tok macro, a couple of SMC
primes
(50,28)

With a 2/3 chip DSLR, using a 1.6 times magnification factor, this
would
be the setup:

a reasonable wide (a Tok 17mm would be fine - giving effective 28mm
or
so) , but I'm not a wide shooter, so could wait until last to
acquire...
a good portrait lens - a 50mm 1.4 would be ideal (effectively 80mm)
Tok 28-70 (49-112) 2.8
Tok or Sig 70-200 (112-320) 2.8

and that's it.

So, in my case, an assuming Pentax *do* cough up the digicam, All I
would
do is sell the 85mm and the 300mm and keep the others. Except that
for
various reasons I am putting the Master Plan into action which is to
sell
everything except the 28-70 and one or two others, and buy a 50mm, 28-
70,
70-200 and a D60.

In stages, of course. Why? That's another thread ;-)

Cotty