Hi Bob,

>I dug around a bit and found out that he used Sony DSR PD100A and DSR
>PD150 cameras, which appear to be top-of-the-range professional DV
>cameras.

[snip]

> I wonder why anybody would
>use a stills camera if they have a DV camera like this? It seems to me
>that this turns on the issue of the quality of the output. Does
>anybody know how the quality of these things compares with high-end
>digital stills cameras? Any other issues to consider?

Interesting. One issue to consider is that of shutter speed. Normally,
video is shot so that the image, if examined frame by frame, will appear
blurry if movement is involved. This helps the moving image retain a
sense of er, movement.

Hi spec video cameras have an electronic shutter that is able to switch
in and operate just like a normal shutter, with various shutter speeds
etc. On the Betacam SX camera I use for work, these speeds are 1/60,
1/125, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000, 1/2000. Normally, the shutter speed is
1/60th (standard setting), and this aids movement in an image, giving the
sense that a car, say, moving at speed past the stationary camera, is
actually moving (follow this ? ;-) - whereas, if you select a higher
shutter speed, say 1/2000th, and shoot the same scene, even though the
car is whizzing past the camera, the image is changed. The car still
moves at speed, but the crispness of the car is overemphasised. The
detail on the car - even at speed - is heightened, making the car look a
bit unnatural.

However - examine those two scenes, frame by frame, and this is what you
find: stop the car in the frame as it is just passing the camera. At
1/60th the car is blurred, as you would expect. At 1/2000th, the car is
crystal clear, and looks like it is stationary and parked up. So yes, if
you shoot with the shutter speed kicked in, and freeze the frame, you'll
get a sharp image, but -

Normal video is not routinely shot with a high shutter speed, as the
effect can be unpleasant. Sports footage however *is* routinely shot with
a high shutter speed - think of the action replays. We need to see that
tennis ball hit (or not) the line - not a blurry green streak. Shutter
speeds have their uses.

I used to film loads of airshows, and using shutter speeds on prop-driven
aircraft had disastrous consequences. The rotors and props looked
dreadful, and the director thundered a decree that shutters were not to
be used on such planes! You get a 'strobing' effect on the props, which
distracts attention, and looks weird, although it can have its uses
(music sequences etc).

So, I think that if you were to shoot video for stills use, a fast
shutter speed would be useful. You would shoot video for stills, or video
for video, but perhaps not both at the same time. The goals are different.

Having said that, the quality of the still image would be entirely
dependent on the quality of the CCD(s), the imaging system, the medium
acquired onto, the editing process, etc. Beta SX is a digital broadcast
medium, and the still pics from it are remarkable, but that's from a
camera costing 20 grand (UKP) plus, and a post-production facility,
server-based editing system worth another 5 million!

Interesting point though. The EOS-1D can shoot 8 frames a second, so why
not 25 frames a second?

BTW, I have no info on the quality of the cameras you mention.

Cheers,

Cotty

(with obviously little work going on here this afternoon ;-)