From: frank theriault [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 07:43:08 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Pentax vs Voigtlander Bessa

Hi, Paul,

I too have a Yashica Electro 35, and it's a wonderful camera, especially for
what I paid.  Extremely sharp and fast lens!

But I, too found it slow to use, especially focusing.  Part of the problem
was
the rather dim (in my body at least) rangefinder "patch" (or whatever you
call
it).  Another part of the problem is that there's no dof scale on the lens.

I guess my ultimate point is that a rangefinder can be ~very~ fast to use
with
small aperture, and hyperfocus.  Much faster than focusing either manually
or
auto-focus.  But hyperfocus is not so easy without a dof scale...

regards,
frank

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> In 2000 and 2001, I acquired a stable of fixed-lens Yashica and Konica
> rangefinders and began using them as my go-everywhere cameras. The results
> were quite satisfactory. But I never got the knack for focusing quickly,
> and by the time I'd get my subject in focus, he or she would see me
> fiddling and ask me to stop.
>
> Also, exposure compensation was not easy, requiring a turn of the
> difficult-to-reach ISO dial. Compensation is, however, easier on other
> fixed-lens RFs.
>
> I've sold off all but one RF, a Yashica Electro GL (40/1.7, 6 elements in
4
> groups, ISO 1600 dial). It's very sharp even at f/2. I use it solely to
get
> great, vibration-free, available-light backstage shots at school plays and
> other indoor events. But even for this, I'm using my SLRs more, because
> they focus so much more quickly.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist
fears it is true." -J. Robert
Oppenheimer