>I thought optical vignetting (other than causes externally by a hood
or a filter) was measured by light fall-off.

optical vignetting?

Hum.

I don't know. I always believed "vignetting" was a term used mainly to
describe something else obstructing the angle of view (as you say a lens
hood, filter, or even the outer part of the lens itself).

I may be wrong but I though light fall-off was the "optical" version of
vignetting. The failure of the lens optics to adequately illuminate near the
edges of the frame.

Maybe I'm wrong. I''ve just never heard of optical vignetting.

-Brendan MacRae