Hi Simon, and welcome to the list.
In the range 17/18-35, I have been very pleased with my Sigma 18-35,
which preceded the 17-35, I think.  Very sharp, good contrast, and not
too much distortion for a lens of this specification.
Most recent reports of current Vivitar lens are a little disappointing,
down to downright bad, so I would tend to avoid them.  Sigma, on the
other hand, seem to be making some really well-specified and optically
good lens recently.  Build quality is Ok: mine is very light, which
suggests mainly plastic elements, but, what the heck, it all works!
I have found only one minor problem- the lens base cap is designed for
either Pentax/Ricoh bayonet mounts, or the Sigma mount
and it can jam on a Pentax lens if you do not mount it carefully.

HTH

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia