At 10:44 28.7.2002 +0100, Cotty wrote:
>Comet Ikeya-Zhang
>Antti-Pekka Virjonen
>Shots like this I assumed were always made with a camera bolted onto the
>end of a mountain-top telescope big enough to spot a Klingon's verrucas
>while he was on holiday enslaving a planet on the far side of the Delta
>Quadrant. The technical expertise that made this stunning shot humbles
>me, and I take my hat off (for there are many) to Antti-Pekka for
>achieving it. Awesome.

Thanks for you kind comments :-)

I'm back from the vacation (I'm still re-learning the keyboard ;-).
We were sailing in the Turku Archipelago area quite a lot...

Regarding the technical things of the mount:
I made the tracking mount myself a couple of years ago. It uses
a heavy duty Manfrotto tripod (triauto) and a 7" wormdrive on a 2" axle
on ball bearings. There is a Manfrotto heavy 3D head on the mount to take
the camera(s). The tracking is accurate enough to take 10-20 min photos
using the 300/2.8 lens without the stars starting to drift in the picture.
The stepper motor of the drive is driven by an embedded microcontroller system
(which I have designed/built/programmed as well).
Maybe I need to scan a photo of the system for everyone to see.

Antti-Pekka

---
* Antti-Pekka Virjonen * Fiskarsinkatu 7 D       * GSM: +358 500 789 753 *
* Computec Oy Turku    * FIN-20750 Turku Finland * Fax: +358 10 264 0777 *