On 31 Jul 2002 at 16:53, Mark Roberts wrote:

> Common problem with the A50/1.7. The aperture ring is plastic, rather than metal
> as on the A50/1.4, and it wears readily. Also the springs that tension the "A"
> button sometimes break off. They can be reattached, but it 's a bit tricky and
> takes some creativity.

I too had this problem occur with one of my lenses, the little metal leaf
springs have a hole at their bases and that are held in place by a plastic
spike on the aperture that has been melted. This joint fractures and then there
is no material left to allow it to be re-attached.

What I did to repair mine was to clean all the lubricant from the area with
spirits. And then use a slow setting epoxy glue to re-attach the spring making
sure that no glue fouled the rotating parts of the mechanism. I'd stay away
from cyanoacrylates (ie Super GlueŽ) as it can foul surfaces whilst curing.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110