----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Spiro
Subject: Re: sticky aperture ring - a-50/1.7

> My advice would be to leave it alone.  The cost of the repair
to have it
> done professionally is more than the value of the lens.   I
would strongly
> advise against trying to do it yourself.  The parts under A
and F lens
> aperture rings are so tiny, and so hard to put back, that it
is very likely
> to end up worse than how you started -- I speak from
experience.

I tried to repair a sticky aperture ring on an A 50mm f/1.7,
after reading Alan Chan's very lucid description of how to do
it.
The lens mount is now doing time as a 35mm to view camera
adapter, the rest of the lens is now in the City of Regina
landfill.
I can strip and rebuild a BMW 3.0 liter inline 6, I can balance
the carbs on a 12 cylinder E-type Jaguar by ear, and I can
diagnose and repair almost any photo lab problem, but those
darned A series lenses don't like me at all.
William Robb