Entirely different optical designs, very different size and weight, very
different
user interface when using in macro focusing mode.  The later zoom 'close
focuss'
at all focal lengths.  The later 'macro focuss' only at it's shortest focal
length, and
then you push a button turn the focus ring to macro and from then focus by
'zooming'.