A few days ago, you'll remember that I asked the list
about how difficult it was to replace the back cover
of the pz1p. Since Pentax does/would not sell a
complete unit, I had to buy just the back cover and
move all the parts from the old back to the new back
(ie- pressure plate, buttons, etc). And I thought I'd
post my thoughts for all else who might need to
perform such an operation.

1. It's really easy. The part is 10usd plus 5usd for
shipping, and there are simply a few screws to remove
and the pressure plate to change everything over.
Unless you damage it, you do not need the 60¢
relacement foam for the film window that they say you
do.

2. Keep track of the screws. This is the hardest
part... those things are ~tiny~!!! The tiny
screwdriver that I used was not magnatized and that
would've been very helpful while putting the screws
back in. Even with my small fingers there simply is
not enough room to hold and drive it.

3. After you get all the parts off the old back but
~before~ you put them in the new make sure to take the
film window out of the old and put it into the new. I
took all the parts off the old and had them all
installed into the new before I realized that I forgot
the film window. The design is such that you cannot
put the film window in while all the rest of the parts
are there. And if you don't want to spend 10 minutes
trying to figure out exactly how to place the window
in the socket, take careful note of it's orientation
whilst removing it.

4. Hinge pins. The top one is easy, this is the spring
loaded one. Unscrew that screw holding it in (keep
your finger on it unless you want to be looking for
it... spring loaded you know) and take it out. The
other one I had to use needle nose Vise-Grip pliars.
It's knurled on part of it's shaft so it's a bugger to
get out.

So there you have it... from a newfound camera
repairman! ;) Not!

Nick Wright
http://health.yahoo.com