>i wish to scan 35mm negatives so i can print photos to A3 and A2 size
>16 x 20 inch and 32 x 40 inch
>
>i am looking at these 3 scanners
>any experineces or advice

Just bought the F-2900 few weeks ago. I have not used other film scanners so
I cannot compare. As far as I can tell, it seems to bring out the detail
pretty well, but not on par with Kodak PhotoCD (4000dpi). It is prone to
show any flaws on films even the films look perfectly clean with my eyes.
ICE works well, but it's not 100%, and it reduces the sharpness a bit, only
a bit. Some deep scratches will remain but much less severe, still much
better than without ICE. Touch up after applying ICE is much easier and much
less time consuming than without it. However, ICE doesn't work with
monochrome. I managed to scan them by choosing "colour negative" and then
turned the scans into monochrome again n Photoshop. This way, I can still
use ICE. Seems to work so far, but I have not done enough monochrome to know
if this method works all the time. Consider the amount of time required to
touch up the scans without ICE, I scan all my films with it on.

Colour correction could be problematic with some negatives, but never a
problem with slides. However, some dense slides might appear a bit dark on
the scans. The details on shaded areas are there, but you might need to
boost the contrast or brightness of the monitor to notice them (I am no
expert on calibration). I have not tested the Vuescan much so I do not know
if it is much better than the original Minolta software which I am quite
happy with so far. But do expect some fine tuning in Photoshop no matter how
good the scans are (usually brightness and contrast).

8bit/channel scan with ICE is fast, but 16bit/channel with ICE and multipass
(2/4/8/16) could take forever. My scanner comes with Adaptec 2903B SCSI card
which I don't know much.

The only con is that the front of the scanner should have a dust cover. But
then again, it was selling CAD600 only so I am not complaining.

>From what I have gathered so far, Canon 27xx film scanners "seem" to be the
worst compared to Nikon and Minolta.  don't know about their 4000.

If you do 300dpi prints, this scanner can do roughly 8.6x13" after chopping.

regards,
Alan Chan