Hi,
I think that you are right. The dual cable release is required to close
down the aperture and open the shutter simultaneously.

If the lens mount of the bellow unit has that lever which causes the lens
aperture to remain open even if you rotate the aperture ring higher
f/numbers, then it won't allow the aperture to close down. Or in other
words, no manual diaphragm.

Perhaps, Boz can tell us much better about this.

Cheers,
Ayash.