Hi All,
In case you couldn't read the entire subject line, which probably
applies to most all:
where to find  equivalent settings for dial in filtration to match
Variable contrast filters...

I finally have a new to me enlarger (my web page designer and nice
enlarger provider got mad at me for not wanting to sleep with her [I am
married to someone different, after all] and took the enlarger when she
left... but, that's another story)

Trouble is, this enlarger, a very nice Rollei 6x7XL is a dichro
enlarger, which I should be able to dial in the correct filtration to
match the Ilford Multigrade variable contrast filters I'm used to. One
of my photography books by Eddie Ephrams has an appendix that lists the
dial in numbers for two different enlargers (neither one my own) and for
some odd reason, the numbers are different, for the same "equivalence"
on different enlargers.

I find that odd. Isn't say, the number "+20 magenta" the same from
machine to machine, just like f stop 8 the same from lens to lens? Or
shouldn't it be? If not, why not? You'd be aiming for the same
filtration effect wouldn't you?

Given that I'm wrong and they are different, which appears to be the
case, would I have to go back to the manufacturer and ask for the right
filtration numbers?

Is there a "general" ballpark  setting for each VC filter that I could
use and adjust my printing to match?

Thanks,
Sid B

PS: BTW, this is my first experience with anything other than a
condenser enlarger, and I'm  quite pleased with the results so far. This
Rollei, I'm told, is really a Saunders 670XL in disguise, I got it for a
very handsome price (meaning inexpensive) on ebay and I'm  quite
satisified, and I in no way stand by my earlier comments of several
years ago that I would only use a condensor enlarger.....