William and all...
Back from my trip to the camera store. I didn't know they had so many
battery alternatives!
These guys had sealed Wein (air-zinc) cells that replace the 625
mercury cells, as well as 1.5 v. Varta (German) size 625 alkalines,
called V625U, that fit the Spotmatic F perfectly.
And yes, I put one in my F and it works like a champ!
No more fussing around with stop gap measures.

I know what I'm doing this weekend!  ;^)
Thing is, my previous (and still) main camera is my ME. While that
takes K-mount lenses, I only have two of that breed, but all my other
lenses are M-42, which is perfect for the Spotmatic.

As was my intention, I made out on this deal. I now have two Pentax
bodies and plenty of lenses.

Thanks for everyone's help.

BTW, I noticed that on this list there are an equal number of folks
who use Spotmatic Fs and MEs ~ 42 each.
Nice to know there are others with good taste here too!
[...ducking...]  <g>

keith whaley