>If you don't see it, then perhaps you should turn to Minolta. You seem to
>appreciate Minolta very much. I'm not sure if you realize, that you've just
>questioned main reasons, for which many (if not most) people are
>Pentaxians.
>Add the SMC and IMHO you will actually have the ONLY reasons to stay with
>Pentax.

If I had to start from scratch now, I might choose Minolta, Canon or Contax.
However, I have been using Pentax for 10 years and see not practical reason
to switch. I do landscape and family photos only and the latest technology
is not that important to me. I use Pentax, I like Pentax, just that I don't
think Pentax is particular good.

>Besides, good marketing can make advantages from everything, even from
>disadvantages (vide Canon)
>Z-1p beats easily Dynaxx 7 (I don't know Dynaxx 9 from my personal
>experience) in terms of ergonomy and convenience of use. It is one of the
>most ergonomic, well designed and user-friendly camera ever. Of course it
>lacks advanced flash metering, has outdated AF, DOF previev is mechanical.
>But equip it with P-TTL, HSS, SAFOX VII, electronic DOFp and magnesium
>housing and no Minolta will be a match for it also in terms of features.
>But
>you seem to dislike Z-1p...
>Meanwhile, Dynaxx 7 beats MZ-S because it offers more for the same or less
>money.

Dated AF ability is enough to choose Minolta 7 over Z-1p for most people. In
terms of technology, Minolta 7 is also way ahead of Z-1p. But then again, I
don't dump my Z-1p just because it's inability to track fast moving subjects
(because I need AF for still subjects only). I use Z-1p, I like Z-1p, just
that I don't think Z-1p is particular good.

>This is the only statement I agree with. It doesn't make sense and is too
>expensive. So there is another way for Pentax: the Leica-like way. Pentax
>will be producing classic, durable, outdated and expensive cameras (one
>model every, say, 5 years) and equally expensive, rare limited lenses (of
>course, of high quality) for a limited group of people. Or maybe will focus
>on compact cameras only...

Well, I don't know about Leica like cameras or lenses. But compact cameras
seem to work fine for Pentax (Spotmatic, M series and now MZ/ZX series).
Their bulky SF and Z/PZ series didn't work at least.  :(

regards,
Alan Chan