> I'm shopping around for loupes, as I just got new lightbox and am shooting
> more slides.  I have an AP 8x borrowed, but it well....sorta sucks.  I had two
> Nikon guys at my store that said Pentax makes the best, 5x-11x zoom, and about
> as large as my 28-105.  Unfortunately, it costs ~$400.  I don't really want
> one or can get one now.  I've seen the ads for Rodenstock? loupes, don't know
> what they go for, but what interests me is the Peak loupes they sell here,
> about $50-60.  Are they decent?  I haven't compared the AP to it yet.  Any
> knowledge or experience is welcome.  As for slide usage, I was just shooting
> it and looking through a viewfinder thing that you point at a light source.  I
> don't have a projector, and won't have one, so I'll be using it more and more
> as the only way to view my photos.  Right now, I just check for sharpness and
> then have what ones I want made into prints.

As a poor student, I use my SMC-A 50/1.7 as a loupe for looking at slides.  It's way
better than those cheap loupes that they let me borrow at camera shops.  Distortion
and chromatic abberation are nil, even at the edges.  I can't quite see the whole
image at once, but maybe you could if you had a 50/1.4 instead.  The lens gives me a
good overall impression of the slide, but don't think that I can see all the way into
the details because of the low magnification.  I think that you can get higher
magnification with a shorter focal length - can someone confirm this.  If have yet to
try it with my 24/2.8 because the rear element is so small.

-Scott