I think DSLR's will be like laptop computers.

For years, the minimum price point for a Laptop was US$2000.
You didn't find one any cheaper because the Manufacturers determined that there was a
market for them at $2-$5,000 and saw no need to lower price.

Now that everybody who wants a laptop (or can afford it) has one in the US, the
manufacturers saw a slowdown in sales.  They responded by lowering prices and making
their product available to a wider market.  Until they couldn't sell them, there was
no need to lower prices.

I think the situation with DSLR's will be much the same.  The high quality
'point-n-shoot's by Sony, Canon, Olympus, Nikon will stay at the US$600-800 price
point thru Christmas.  The next year may see an upgrade in the chip/electronics, but
the price point will stay the same.  They have established that people will pay this
amount for a digital camera.

For the DSLR, I expect the $2,000 price point will last a while.  You may be able to
buy used or last year's model's for less, but the latest popular technology will cost
$2,000.  Canon has figured out that photographers will buy their package for $2,000.
They can improve their technology and reduce their costs, but why sell for less?...
just so long as they sell as many as they can produce.

Regards,  Bob S.