>From luminous landscape
(http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/645nii.shtml):

"It has been said that because it lacks interchangeable backs, in the
future the Pentax 645 won't be able to take a digital back. Nonsense.
While it's unlikely that third parties will modify their digital backs
to fit the Pentax's insert opening, there's no technical limitation
preventing Pentax from providing a digital insert if they so wished. (In
fact I believe that the reason for the NII upgrade was primarily to
provide the needed electronic shutter release connections for the
digital back, which Pentax has indeed now done. Time will tell.)"