I have one Sigma zoom and I don't think too much of it. It's the 35-70mm
f3.4~4.5 Zoom Master. I prefer the Takumar 28-80mm f3.4~4.5 which according
to some has barrel wobble - mine doesn't and takes good pictures.

But to get to the point. One of the best lenses I have ever used is the
Sigma 50mm f2.8 Macro EX I got from Al's Cameras a few years ago. I've used
a lot of lenses, some cost tens of thousands of dollars and never left the
laboratory, others were on cameras like my long series of Alpa Reflex models
going back to the late 1950s. The lens I used most was the Kern Macro Switar
50mm f1.7. A great lens that easily resolved 250 line pairs on high
resolution plate in my lab. But I've taken better pictures with the Sigma on
an ME Super, P30 or P30T than I ever managed with the Switar. The MTF of
this lens, from the Hasselblad lab in Sweden, can be found on the www. I
can't remember where it is, but this lens has a rating of 4.2 and 4.8 is
about as good as you can get; only one lens, a Tamron or Canon telephoto(?),
reached 4.6 (was it?). One of you will know where all this information can
be found.

Dr E D F Williams

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams
Author's Web Site and Photo Gallery