Reading Boz's k-mount website will clear up any "confusion." I think
the 201 may only suitable for the MZ-M body.

Chris L.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/10/02 12:37PM >>>
You should be able to locate an earlier generation independent flash
which would work on all models - I have a Starblitz 3800 DFS which works
well, has TTL and external cell and is more powerful and much cheaper
than the Pentax 280 T I used to have. A used 280 T should not cost very
much either?
All the best!
Raimo
Personal photography homepage at http://www.uusikaupunki.fi/~raikorho

-----Alkuperäinen viesti-----
Lähettäjä: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Vastaanottaja: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Päivä: 10. syyskuuta 2002 6:25
Aihe: Re: Pentax flashes

>ThanX for the replies so far.
>
>I do have a Vivitar 283 but it's a "Made In Japan" model (higher
voltage).  I had a Sunpak 133 and I'm looking for something around that
size and weight.  Someone mentioned the 280T but that's out of my
size/weight/price range.

>In my post I made a mistake when I said the AS201SA shows a sensor eye
in the online image.  I mixed it up with a Sunpak unit.  I don't see a
sensor on the 201.

>I did some more digging and found at pentax.com a section of
instruction manuals for some of their flashes.  No manual for the 201
but I did find one for the 220T.  Once again the explanatory text ain't
the best.  From what I gather the 220T (and maybe the 201) doesn't use a
sensor eye on the flash body.  Instead the lens has to be set to "A"
(automatic) and the camera with the flash chooses a pre-set aperture.
The other option using the 220T with a non-TTL camera body is to
manually set the aperture for a full power burst, the setting dependent
upon the distance to the subject.

>I'm kinda disappointed with what I've learned so far.  Most of my
lenses are plain K -- not KA -- and so I would have to use the flash at
full power, adjusting for the distance.  So much for "auto" flash.  I
hate blinding people with full flash power when it isn't needed.

>Why doesn't Pentax make a small flash like the Sunpak 144 with a
sensor eye?  I'm thinking about getting the 144 (or the 144D) but once
again it gets into the flash trigger voltage problem, i.e. the
non-Pentax flash might fry my PZ-10 and ZX-M.

>It's mentioned in the description for the 201 that it's a good flash
to use with the ZX-M.  If what I've found out is correct, it's a good
flash IF your lenses are KA.  If not, then it's check the flash range
and set the aperture.

>I'm disappointed with Pentax.  I've spent too much time trying to find
basic info online.  Their flash model designations are confusing (e.g.,
AF means auto-flash, not auto-focus) and their instruction manuals and
product descriptions are next to useless.

>I like my Pentax cameras up to a point.  I'm reaching that point and
instead of changing all of my lenses over to KA to take advantage of a
low-priced flash, I think it's time to sink money into the Canon EOS
system.  At least info on EOS isn't as obscure as what Pentax
semi-translates from Japanese.  And there doesn't seem to be any great
confusion in regards to EOS flashes and their compatibilities with
various EOS cameras.